Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shuttup-a-your Face, Miss Q

I confess that I don't understand what it's like to be shy. I'm very outgoing and love love LOVE to make friends. I still know people from middle school. I like old people. I enjoy the company of my neighbors. I make chit-chat with total strangers in the grocery store and in the dentist's office. So maybe I'm SLIGHTLY biased while writing this.

But when people refuse to be friendly, act alienated and complain about not being part of the crowd, I have absolutely no sympathy for them when they make NO EFFORT to be included.

Situation 1: I invite people for a get-together in the yard. Miss Q decides that her invitation was a "pity invite" and doesn't show up. While we're at the BBQ, the group of us decide to go to a movie the following week.

Situation 2: We go to the movie. Miss Q finds out and is horrified and offended she wasn't told about the event. She thinks we're rude and she rolls her eyes at us at the mailbox. But she doesn't tell ANYONE her feelings are hurt. We figure she's just having a bad day...

Situation 3: This same group of neighbors/friends get together for last-minute late night smoothies a week later. We get a booth in the back of the smoothie place and laugh like teenagers because we're having such a good time. Coincidentally (really a coincidence, she wouldn't have known we were there otherwise...) in walks Miss Q and her husband, Mr. Dirty Looks, and they stare us down as if we have committed some sort of a crime against them. Dirty Looks makes awkward chit-chat with some of the husbands and tries to play it cool before his wife leads him out in a huff.

Things just go downhill from there.

(ahem...)

Dear Miss Q:

YOU WERE INVITED TO THE BBQ! WE WANTED YOU THERE! Stop acting so damn picked on and either come when you're invited, act like you're still our friend, and reciprocate the invitation! Friendship is what you make of it, and you've made a MESS of this one, sister.

Holy hell.

Love, "WHY?"

2 comments:

Ann LaDeux said...

I can't believe how TERRIBLE you are to poor Miss Q. Can't you read her mind and know exactly what she needs and wants?

Wah.

Anonymous said...

I know someone just like that. You're not from Boise, are you?