Friday, August 1, 2008

Don't call me Ma'am.


I confess that I almost killed the poor guy at the grocery store today for calling me Ma'am. I just wanted to shout, "Hey, grocery store man...DON'T CALL ME MA'AM!"
-
No really, DON'T. (Dirty glare.) I think the only time I've hated something worse is when a man I adored and saw on a regular basis (I'll add that he was just a few years older than me) used to call me "Kid." I was not a kid then and I AM NOT A MA'AM NOW! I am young and vibrant and just because I have a few children does NOT mean I fit into the category of a ma'am. Let me show you why being called these names bother me so much:

Ma'am:

Old Lady.
Mother of twenty.
Completely frazzled.
Bags under her eyes and nurses shoes.
Says things like "Sonny" or "Here's a nickel for your trouble."

Kid:

Someone you will never have any romantic interest in.
A girl you don't think has curves or is good-looking in any way.
Someone you don't see as an equal.
A girl that couldn't possibly have an opinion or point of view that matters because even if she did, she's too young for it to count.

See? I may be irrational. I may even be ridiculous. But I am NOT a Ma'am.

4 comments:

Ann LaDeux said...

I don't have kids and I'm not married which makes the Ma'am even more painful. I feel you!

Because. said...

I too have suffered from being refered to as "ma'am". I was only 27 years old. COME ON. Freaking idiot girl, you call me ma'am one more time and I'll shove that cell phone down your scrawny throat.

skcoe said...

I HATE BEING CALLED MA'AM. There's a darling guy at our local grocery store that is so darn cute...right up until the point he calls me ma'am. It's at about that point that I slam the door and drive away in a huff.

I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Good words.